Have you ever done a Touch-a-Truck at your town? Do you know someone who could help you with the Touch-a-Truck? Yesterday I put on the Second Annual Touch-a-Truck for my library, and it was great, so I’ll share some tips and maybe you’ll have a new annual event.
- Try to get a Fire Truck or two there, contact your local fire department to see if they can stop by with some equipment and a truck
- Start off with only one or two vehicles and grow each year
- Contact your local Highway Department and Police Department to see if they could stop by with their vehicles
- Have a donation jar for your library
- SIGNS! Make sure you have signs around town, at the schools, the post offices, and your library!!!
- Get an E-Z Up and put some Chairs and a table under the E-Z Up for some type of sitting area.
- Is there a local bakery? Make a scavenger hunt and the prize would be a free item from the local bakery.
- Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!
- Make a layout of where you’re going to put all of the vehicles (I didn’t do this this year and we had three fire trucks and two ambulances, not a bright idea)
- Thank everyone who came out and helped you, write thank you cards to them, and get an article into the local paper about your Touch-a-Truck event!!
Once you get about two or three Touch-a-Trucks under your belt, they’ll come a lot easier and won’t stress you out as much.
Small Town Librarian ♥